Pregnancy can be a wonderful experience however carrying a baby can change your centre of gravity and put a lot of stress on your back, neck, abdominal muscles, and shoulders. Pregnancy also relaxes your ligaments, so that your pelvic joints are less stable and changes your posture, pulling your pelvis forward which often causes back pain.
What is Pregnancy Massage?
Pregnancy massage uses most of the techniques used in Swedish Massage with the goal to relax tense muscles, ease tension areas, improve circulation and mobility, improve mood and promote a sense of wellbeing.
I have completed additional training in pregnancy massage and use of bolsters/pillows to position mum to be comfortably and safely either on her side or sitting up depending on which area of the body I am massaging.
I can combine aromatherapy oils within my pregnancy massage treatment to enhance the physical and phycological benefits. This will be discussed in your initial consultation. Please read more about aromatherapy massage above.
What are the Benefits of Pregnancy Massage?
Massage encourages physical and mental relaxation and can provide tremendous relief for the following conditions relating to pregnancy:-
• Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
• Fear & Anxiety
• Pain – especially in the lower back and hips
• Morning sickness
Reflexology in Pregnancy
Reflexology is the practice of applying pressure to and massaging certain areas of the feet to encourage healing and relieve stress and tension. It is also used to improve general health and well-being.
Reflexology is based on the principle that the feet are like a mirror image of the body and that certain areas of the feet, called reflex points are linked to areas of body through the meridian system. The arrangement of the reflexes has a direct relationship to the area of the body they affect. For example, the right side of the foot is linked to the right side of the body. While the tips of the toes correspond to the head. The liver, pancreas and kidneys connect to the arch of the foot, and the lower back and intestines towards the heel.
There are many benefits to receiving reflexology during pregnancy and I focus on different areas of the body depending on what trimester you are in:-
• Thyroid Reflex - to help regulate metabolism
• Lymphatic drainage reflex - to prevent puffiness and swelling in legs and feet
• Pancreas and endocrine reflexes – to encourage normal secretions and help prevent gestational diabetes
• Pelvic area reflexes – to help with aches associated with an expanding uterus
• Circulatory system reflex – to maintain and encourage normal blood pressure and prevent severe pre-eclampsia
• Sciatic nerve, spine and pelvic area reflex – to help with back pain and hip discomfort
• Digestive system reflexes – to aid in bowel function and relieve constipation
• Uterus and pelvic floor reflexes – towards the end of pregnancy in preparation for labour and childbirth.
Simply book your appointment and I will do the rest, bringing everything needed for your treatment at home.
Contact me via my Facebook Page or email email@example.com